Re: Dash as default shell

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 03:21:33PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I am more concerned about code written by admins and users. I kinda
> hope that we don't ship too massive shell programs in Fedora, (well,
> except of course autoconf scripts...), but I am pretty sure that shell
> is one of the most common languages used by admins to do things, and
> that's where we should be really careful to not break things.

+1. Or a larger number than one. I know _for sure_ that there's a lot of
sysadmin scripts out there on RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora that start with
#!/bin/sh and then are full of bashisms. This is probably terrible, but it's
been that way and worked fine for since before Fedora existed, so here we
are.

Like all such change, that doesn't mean we _can't_ do it, but it means we're
asking users and admins to pay a price, and we should always make sure that
they're getting their metaphorical money's worth -- and that we do
everything we can to reduce the pain.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>