Re: Dash as default shell

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> If you change /bin/sh to dash, then you'll have to map two shell
> binaries into memory (since the login shell is going to stay on bash),
> hence the resource usage grows.

systemd (as PID 1, not counting additional required processes) takes
over 10 times as much resident memory as dash.  Do you really want to go
down that path?

> You increase the number of packages
> and minimal footprint of our OS images since we need to install one
> more package.

A true minimal-footprint install would not require bash, so this would
reduce the size (dash installed size: 155K, bash installed size: 3.6M).

> You create a *lot* of porting work for all those
> scripts. You *break* all scripts that currently reference /bin/sh in
> the shebang-line but use bashisms.

Those scripts are already broken, and mostly already fixed because of
Debian/Ubuntu (and *BSD, etc.).  The remaining scripts are largely going
to be Fedora-specific, and that's not nearly as big of pile of code as
you imply.

It is also funny to hear the systemd author talk about not breaking
things and creating lots of work.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>