Re: Dash as default shell

On 10/02/2014 08:42 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Wed, 01.10.14 22:19, Chris Adams (linux@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

One thing that might be a good topic for consideration: is there a
reasonable way to allow different implementations to take the /bin/sh
symlink?  Could this be handled through the alternatives system, so that
admins could choose bash vs. dash vs. whatever?

Theoretically yes, because all Bourne-Shell compatible shells should support the same Bourne/POSIX-compatible API.

The shell is API. Currently, if people write shell (#!/bin/sh) scripts
on Fedora, they can be sure that the same language is available on all
Fedora installations. If you suddenly make /bin/sh something that
might be different on all systems, you pretty much break API there.

ACK, history of shells has told, different shells expose different behaviors on certain conditions, sometime due to different interpretation of the POSIX-API, sometimes due to bugs and sometimes due to limiations of the implementation.

I.e. applying alternatives for /bin/sh would likely require a huge amount of testing, an amount I consider unreasonable.

In general, I am pretty sure that except a couple of programming
language or UNIX aficionades very few people can actually correctly
separate bashisms from true bourneshellisms.

Well, bash is known to historically have passed through some "bashisms" in its POSIX-mode, "bashisms" other shells consider to be non-POSIX compliant or do not implement for other reasons.

Ralf