Re: Request for testers: glibc update to work around Intel TSX errata microcode_ctl problems.

Am 29.09.2014 um 15:14 schrieb Carlos O'Donell:
> On 09/28/2014 02:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> What about the case where the user runs a custom kernel?
>
>> then he needs to build it right
>
> That's not sufficiently conservative for a core runtime.

from the viewpoint of a distribution in context of the kernel?

well, try to write a kernel bugreport if you are using
a custom built one on the RH bugzilla....

>> don't get me wrong but you can't seriously disable TSX
>> completly because a *possible* out-of-distribution kernel
>
> I am not disabling TSX completely. I am disabling the use of
> TSX in POSIX threads (particularly rwlocks and default mutex
> locks)

in context of the issue of the topic you need to disable
it completly without early mircocode loading because
the whole CPU capability is gone after it is applied

> I would also not disable it forever, I would disable
> it until we have more discussion and consensus around the
> best solution.

agreed - that's what i liked to hear confirmed to not
have it disabled in 2 years because there maybe old
and affected hardware "in the wild"

> At the present moment I'm reluctant to commit to hardware
> blacklists in glibc, but this might be one way forward.
>
> Alternately we forgo the use of cpuid and rely on the kernel
> to always tell us which features are present and useful

* how do you do that?
* from where is cpuid coming - IMHO it's from the kernel (/proc/cpuinfo)

the issue is the time where microcode get updated due boot
to not break already loaded code if a capability is gone like
TSX after that