Re: F21/F22: xorg-x11-drv: which for SiS?

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 21:35 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote on 2014-09-23 12:45 (GMT-0400):
> > That's the fbdev X driver, pointed at either vesafb or uvesafb kernel
> > driver.  Which I suppose will get you a high-res console, but isn't
> > especially great for mode selection in X.  (The fbdev interface has no
> > way to query the kernel for supported resolutions, so X can't even know
> > what to ask for.)  If you stopped using vesafb you might have a better
> > time of it.
>
> I didn't know what you meant about "using vesafb", so I tried a bunch
> of permutations with F22, with and without anything video related on
> cmdline to see if that's where "using vesafb" could have come from.
> These are descriptions for the two LCDs (for this test used only with
> 15pin VGA cables):
>
> LCD #1
> advertised native resolution 1440x900
> physical aspect ratio 16:10
> http://www.cnet.com/products/polaroid-flm-1911/specs/
> output of monitor-edid command: (inexplicable preferred mode: 1280x1024)
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Hardware/Display/edid-pola-flm1911-os131-rv380.txt

I hate to disappoint, but as you point out, this monitor is _not_
advertising 1440x900 as its native mode.  That's what "preferred mode"
means.  (At least in EDID 1.3; 1.4 defines things more precisely, but
you tend to only see it on DisplayPort connections.)

> New test results (17 Xorg logs):
>
> #1 LCD: no xorg.conf, no vga=, with video=1024x768@60 on cmdline
> vesa driver: 1600x1200 15:31 68420
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/xorg.0.log-g5eas-f22-0xconf0Vcmdline-vesa-1600x1200on1440x900native
> fbdev driver: NA
> sis driver: NA

Since you didn't say vga= you didn't get vesafb.  Your video BIOS, at
32bpp, advertises modes for 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and
1600x1200.  Your delightfully perverse monitor claims to support all of
those modes in EDID, so all of them appear in the runtime mode list.  If
there's a bug in X here it's that we're not preferring 12x10 like the
monitor says to.

> #2 LCD: with xorg.conf, no vga= on cmdline, with video=1024x768@60 on cmdline
> vesa driver: 1024x768 19:49 63751
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/xorg.0.log-g5eas-f22-1xconf0vga0768video-vesa-1024x768on1920x1080native
> fbdev driver: na
> sis driver: NA

Much the same as above, except now the intersection of VBIOS mode lists
does not include 16x12 or 12x10.

> #2 LCD: with xorg.conf, no vga= on cmdline, with video=1920x1080@60 on cmdline
> vesa driver: 1024x768 19:52 60389
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/xorg.0.log-g5eas-f22-1xconf0vga1080video-vesa-1024x768on1920x1080native

video= on the command line is only a kernel directive, not an X
directive, so this isn't really different from the previous case.

And at this point we've exhausted all of the parameters that have any
influence over X, so we can skip the rest.

> Since there is no sis driver any more in Fedora, its sis users will
> need either to use a display whose native mode is one of the standard
> vesa modes,

You seem to be laboring under the misconception that all video BIOSes
support some set of "standard" modes.  What your firmware supports is
not what mine supports.  Certainly it's unfortunate that yours happens
to support such an anemic set, but that observation is not sufficient to
change the set of drivers I'm willing to continue to support.

> or to find a driver elsewhere, if they want the optimal
> modes they had before before the xorg-x11-drv-sis orphaning, and that
> at least for now, remain available to users of other distros.

Or, like I said back in August of last year, someone who actually cares
about sis support can own the driver.  I appreciate that you _want_ the
driver, but neither I nor my team have the time, inclination, or
business justification to work on it.  Were that to change, the support
would not be xorg-x11-drv-sis, it'd be a KMS driver.

> AFAIK, xorg-x11-drv-mga and xorg-x11-drv-sis, in contrast to the others
> on https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-October/190696.html,
> include support for some much newer devices. So IMO, even though they lack
> "maintainers", for the little "maintenance" they need, Fedora users deserve
> that they be kept available.

Anyone who believes this is welcome to revive the packages and own them.

> Any chance to get the xorg-x11-drv-sisusb maintainer to pick up xorg-x11-drv-usb?

Nope.  Unless someone wants to take sisusb off my hands too, which I
certainly wouldn't mind.

> BTW, with neither VGA= nor video= on cmdline, ttys are in a legacy 80x25
> video mode that is broken. Trailing spaces are written to screen as high
> ASCII characters both in bash and parts of mc. Some program output that
> should be in text is also these junk characters.

That's probably a bug.  It might be in your kernel, it might be in your
firmware.  As a text mode issue it is sort of by definition not a
graphics bug, so if anyone else feels like investigating it be my guest.

- ajax