Re: splitting a subpackage to proper package process

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:15:49 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> Hello,
>  There is a package which includes a subpackage that I'd like it split
> as a proper package (possibly with different maintainers). Is there some
> special process for that or does it have to follow the full process for
> new packages as in [0]?
>
> regards,
> Nikos
>
> [0].
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/New_package_process_for_existing_contributors

You could/should have given more details, which would make it easier to
answer.

Usually, everything from one _source tarball_ is included in a _single_
src.rpm, so you split the build into subpackages. Once upstream splits off
something into a separate tarball, it may be time to create another src.rpm
for it. There is no strict requirement to do so, however, because RPM can
handle multiple source archives per src.rpm. It may be more convenient to
create multiple src.rpm packages depending on how often the individual
pieces are updated/upgraded/rebuilt. And yes, [0] applies to new packages.