Re: systemd-readahead

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 09:12:57AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Whenever my laptop boots, the hard disk is pegged at 100% and the
> > machine is unusable for another 2 minutes because of
> > "systemd-readahead", a misguided attempt to optimize the boot process.
> > Did we agree to this when we adopted systemd as an init replacement?
> > I don't remember init including all this other stuff.
>
> We had a readahead implementation before.

Yep, I was maintainer and co-author of this package

> On ssds it does not seem to
> help (nor hurt) much. On rotating media it used to help in the past
> but have not seen any recent numbers.

after many optimizations and complete rewrite ..etc, I was not able to
see any really significant improvement. So.. my suggestion war to drop
the package from Fedora many years ago :-)

IMHO it's better to optimize boot process and efficiently start only
really required services that load on boot all the unnecessary junk
and try to optimize the mess by readahead.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com