Re: [Base] Terminology for docker/atomic images

On 8.9.2014 16:03, Dusty Mabe wrote:
On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:29:12AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
On Sun, Sep 7, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
In a nutshell, it would be great if we added "Container" to references we
make to the container image (in conversation and docs).
I tend to say "Docker Base Image" - that's the terminology upstream
Docker uses: https://docs.docker.com/articles/baseimages/

I think in the context of Docker, i.e. when you already know you are
talking about the Docker daemon and Docker containers, then "Docker
Base Image" is clear enough.

I think when you don't have that context to begin with and you hear
"Docker Base Image" then it is not so clear. I'm fine with
incorporating their terminology so we can be more clear though:

     Docker Container Base Image ?

Unfortunately we have to balance clarity with convenience. The longer
it gets the more people won't like it so that is something to
consider.

Dusty
I agree with Colin - Docker Base Image is what we should use when talking about Docker images which are then used in Docker Layered Images as a base layer on top of which you can build. Please don't make the terminology too complicated.

If you are in context of Docker you can safely use Base Image and Layered Image. If you talk in general, adding "Docker" will bring you to the right "namespace".

Do we need a documentation of this somewhere on Fedora Wiki?

Vašek

--

Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Developer Experience