Re: Future changes in the new package and new branch processes

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 07:52:52AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/05/2014 05:08 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>
> >* packager requests new branch in pkgdb (2 clicks)
> >      => requests added to the scm admin queue
> >* cvsadmin checks the request/package (check if package exists in the RHEL for
> >   EPEL branch request - check if the user is a packager done in pkgdb itself)
> I guess, EPEL is just an example for a "new branch" to create?

Indeed, it's just an example.

> We also have cases were packages only exists in newer Fedoras (eg. rawhide
> only), until someone comes along and asks for branches to be created in
> older Fedoras.

We would have to clear it with releng, but I wonder what are the mandatory
checks to perform when creating a new *fedora* branch for a package that has
already been reviewed.
If the only check is: is the person a packager?, then I guess we may be
able to automatically create the fedora branch in pkgdb (which would then
propagate the change to git).

> >* cvsadmin approves the creation of the new branch in pkgdb
> >      => branch creation broadcasted on fedmsg
> >* git adjusted automatically
> What does this sentence mean? Create an empty branch or even to populate it
> from some other branch?

The script creating the git branches has a mapping of which branch to create a
new branch from [1]. So new epel7 branches will be created from the f19 branch.

I wonder if we should rather create an empty branch and let the packager merge
the branch of his/her interest back into this new branch.

Thoughts?

Pierre

[1]
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/ansible/roles/distgit/templates/pkgdb_sync_git_branches.py