Re: systemd dependencies

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What's the rationale here? I mean, we have so many dependencies, if
>> you want to minimize them, you have a loooong way to go...
>
> When I bootstrapped Fedora for ARM way back when, I had to deal with
> these dependencies.  A lot.  Finding a minimal set of RPMs to
> cross-compile to get a bootable core was very difficult because of
> dependencies, and managing the path up to koji was a nightmare.  Even
> after that, there were some packages that couldn't be built *at all*
> because of circuilar dependencies or dependencies on them.
>
> So, to all of you who say "oh well" to dependencies... I hate you.
>
> Seriously.  Not only have you made my personal job miserable for a
> while, but you demonstrate the worst traits of engineering.  If
> there's a problem, you don't hide it or just "let it be because we're
> used to it."  You *fix* it.  And you make sure it *stays* fixed.  Take
> some pride in your work!  Do the best you can!  If you're only willing
> to do mediocre work and let problems exist because you can't be
> bothered to fix them, then Fedora will at best be a mediocre product.

Your message is likely to be lost because your tone is basically an
attack.  It's pretty unwarranted as well.  People don't add
dependencies just for the hell of it.  They grow over time like any
software bloat, and usually make sense at the time they're added.

FWIW, I agree the dependency issues can be a problem.  I just wish you
wouldn't have resorted to being so negative.

josh