Re: Circular dependencies in RPM

Am 22.08.2014 um 21:53 schrieb Dusty Mabe:
> I know I have probably been hiding under a Rock but can anyone help me
> understand Fedora's stance on circular dependencies within RPMs?
>
> At least in the past I think circular dependencies have been kept to a minimum
> as it can cause issues with rpm sorting: i.e. for two rpms A,B with a circular
> dependency, in different transactions sometimes A goes before B and sometimes
> B goes before A.
>
> In Fedora 20 just running rpm against the 1500 or so packages I have installed
> on my Desktop I notice that there are 47 sets of "Strongly Connected Components";
> basically 47 cases of a circular dependency.
>
> Was there a point where this became more popular. I don't remember there being more
> than a few circular deps for EL6 era rpms.

how should it work otherwise?

* each package defines it's depndencies
* each of the dependencies have their own
* no package knows the whole picture
* each package has to pull all deps it needs

if
 * A requires B
 * B requires C

it's clear that removal of C would also remove A because
it removes B caused by the deps leading to remove A

if you can remove C the B has a package error which is
in theory possible because C already could have been
installed and nobody noticed the missing dep until
you remove it and nothing complais (been there)