Re: appdata questions

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 15:42 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> why do we penalize users by hiding contents from them when some
> upstream
> just doesn't care about this stuff? (see also comment 7 about the
> "unjust
> burden")?

To clarify, the goal is not to penalize users: quite the opposite. We
want applications in the software installer to have good descriptions
and screenshots to help the user decide if he wants to install the
application. The status quo in F20 is that many apps have just a
sentence fragment of description taken from the desktop file, which is
not very helpful to users and makes our software center look bad. Hiding
applications without good descriptions will improve the quality of
the results we show, and also encourage Fedora packagers to add the
descriptions. (If upstream doesn't want to add an appdata file, you can
do so in your packaging!)

Michael