Re: /media -> /run/media???

On Fri, 15.08.14 22:21, Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > I just reverted the "two weeks in rawhide" symlink change
> > already. /media is no longer symlink in Rawhide. Removeable media mount
> > point is not under control of filesystem package (udisks2 mount them
> > to /run/media/$USER/$Volname ).
> > Based on Michal's suggestion, you can use UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED set
> > to 1 to have removeable media mounted in /media instead
> > of /run/media/$USER/ .
>
> *sigh*. Then the default should have been to set
> UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED to 1. Let people who *want* it in the new
> "/run/media/$USER/mountdir" select it. And it's *still* a violation of
> even the most recent filesystem hierarchy standards, which discuss the

Well, I am pretty sure we have the duty to implemen an operating system
that is secure by default.

> use of "/run" and "/var/run" for pid files, not for removable media.
> Files in /run are supposed to be scrubbed or truncated at boot time!!!

Yeah, that's why we mount them to /run, so that the mount points of
dynamically plugged in drives stay around on physical media. Dynamic
stuff shouldn't be placed on persistent disks.

This change has been made a long time ago and for good reasons, I really
don't see a point in complaining about this now.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat