OT: Patching a source makes it a fork?

I'm part curious and part venting....

I am trying to get a cross-platform project I'm working on building natively on win32 as I've already got it working nicely on Fedora and Fedora mingw.

I've ended up with the MSYS2 project, which while a big young (try to find documentation!) I think it's a vast improvement on the old msys/mingw project.

I was having trouble with the wxWidgets cmake module messing up the parsing up the output from wx-config and I found the problem and provided a *TRIVIAL* patch.

Next this guy tells me that we should upstream it (sure, always a good idea) and wait until they incorporate it to fix it on msys2, which of course would leave me without a working build (except for the fact i already fixed it for myself) and anyone else who needed it to work.

I thought I was done but next I was told:
"""
OTOH when you apply a patch you are forking the project. This has severe
consequences for the community (and creates extra work for the
maintainers.) Right now MSYS2 CMake has a single, simple patch which is
related to MSYS2 itself, while your patch addresses a CMake bug which is
not MSYS2-specific. The moment Alexey applies it, he is taking the role
of CMake maintainer. Multiply this by the hundreds of packages MSYS2
has...
"""

Does patching software legally make it a fork?

Thanks and sorry for the rant...
Richard