Re: /media -> /run/media???

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Jon <jdisnard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Fedora's recent tendency to override the published file system hierarchy specs, at whim, and replace them with symlinks is problematic, unnecessary, and is breaking things. In this case, /media is defined in the upstream specs as the location for removable media. Not /run/media. Not /whither/my/love/piñata/wanders/media.
>>

> Are you referring to the File System Hierarchy (FHS 2.3) spec [1],
> published in 2004, or the FHS 3 (beta) spec from 2011 [2] ?
>
> Regardless, those specs (according to my reading) do not imperatively
> [3] require a /media directory for removable media. It would appear
> /media is preferable to legacy places like /mnt/cdrom, etc. They also
> do not disallow for /run/media/$UID, only stipulating that these areas
> be sensibly protected, which Fedora does.

I was referring to the older spec. The newer spec is more clear about
the use of /media. Neither *mandate* following the spec, that's very
difficult for any spec to do. The don't disallow replacing /etc/passwd
with symlinks, either. But the recent tendency to ignore the FSH and
history and pick a new location that may be "better" in some model of
the universe, but which breaks working processes, is problematic.

Also note that it's a pretty thorough violation of the more recent
spec to use "/run" for mountable media. If it hadn't been explicitly
specified, and it *was*, I'd have suggested using "/var/media".

> Perhaps It would be nice to retain /media for situations where seated
> users choose to mount media in an insecure (world accessible) way?

It's the removable media under /media/cdrom, /media/usb1, etc. that
would require more specific permissions. /var/run/media is no more or
less secdure than "/media". in that sense.

> [1] http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_2.3/fhs-2.3.html
> [2] http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/fhs.html
> [3] https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

RFC 2119 is from 1997. The world has evolved since then, and none of
"/run", "/var/run", nor "/media are mentioned.  I'm afraid stuffing
into /var/ was unnecessary, and the bugzilla mentioned never gave a
clear reason for the move.