Re: Addition : Ink Level

Colin Walters wrote:

I don't have any immediate thoughts on a UI for the person *maintaining*
the printers. Seems like that could just be a cron job or something
that sends email.

IMHO system-config-printer would be a nice place to have access to this type of information, in particular on a home computer. If the computer is part of a larger park, there should already be a site wide monitoring infrastructure where to fit this information (nagios, e-mail, syslog, snmp, pager). A small command line tools that can be used in scripts would go a long way to ease integration of such information in an existing infrastructure. I noticed that many network printers send warnings about low level of ink/toner by syslog if a syslog server attribute is sent to them by DHCP and can be queried by snmp. Doing the same could be a good start.