Re: Short RPM question

Tom Diehl wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

Hi all

When I saw that an update for slang was available, I issued an apt-get
install slang, and thought that it would pull slang-devel too. It didnt:
# rpm -qR slang-devel
slang = 1.4.9

You are getting confused.

Nope, you are :-) The

"I issued an apt-get install slang, and thought that it would pull slang-devel too."

.. is a red herring. He already has slang _and_ slang-devel installed and expected the dep resolution on "apt-get install slang" to force an upgrade of slang-devel too. Because the dep in slang-devel is only on the version and not the release of slang it didn't force the update.

The question was - should the slang-devel "Requires:" specify just a version dep or both version and release? Peronally I think you're better off with a full epoch:version-release dep between the devel->parent as quite often build time options are enough to mangle autogenerated development material.

Carwyn