Re: OCaml 4.02 in Fedora 21(?)

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:08:15AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I'm in two minds about whether to add OCaml 4.02 to Fedora 21:
>
>  - The only significant change that we care about is full AArch64
>    support.  Currently Fedora 21 uses an AArch64 backend that I
>    hastily backported from upstream before the upstream backend was
>    completely finished (which, to be fair, does appear to work).
>
>  - The upstream schedule is rather unfortunately misaligned with the
>    Fedora 21 schedule.  4.02+beta1 was released last month.  More
>    betas/RCs are expected.  But final release is going to be August
>    (ie. after F21 development freeze).
>
>  - There are quite a lot of bug fixes (something like 40+) which would
>    be a pain to cherry pick individually to F21.  However none are
>    known to affect Fedora users.
>
>  - There are several new optimization steps in the native compiler,
>    which might be interesting (in good and bad senses of the word).
>
> Anyway if anyone has any preferences either way, then follow up ..

After a bit more investigation, this has turned out to be a
smelly kettle of fish.

Upstream have unbundled labltk (Tk, *not* Gtk, user interface) and
camlp4, so those will now need to be packaged as separate SRPMs.  I
might not bother with labltk.

I think I'll wait until after the F21/F22 branch to do all this.

Rich.