Re: repodata - xz

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:13:00 +0200
poma <pomidorabelisima@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "because thats how createrepo works"!? :)
> I'm talking in general, why not use the same improved compression for
> all!

Because createrepo wants to keep backward compatibility?

For things that can use xz, they only download the xz files.
For older things that cannot, they can download the gz files.

If your package manager does support xz repodata, you only ever get
those. The mirrors keeping a few trivial sized .gz files doesn't affect
you in any way, and allows people with older tools to still look at the
repos.

The exception in your list is the repomd.xml file. This file is vastly
the most accessed one in repodata. Compressing it with xz (or gz) would
be largely pointless since it's so small already and it would make
everyone have to uncompress it lots and lots of times.

kevin