Re: Proposal: time to set up the fedora-release-{cloud, workstation, server} subpackages

On 06/19/2014 02:11 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:55:02 -0500
> Jon <jdisnard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I suggest that we have fedora-release-{workstation,server,cloud}
>>> packages. I had originally suggested these as subpackages of
>>> fedora-release, but I think that it might actually be better to
>>> have them be separate packages, so they can be maintained and
>>> released individually.
>>
>> Separate packages please, we want to keep the thrash/churn on a
>> release packages low.
> I actually prefer a single package. if its not we will at the least
> need to look at making a separate repos packages. as thats something we
> do not want to risk copy paste errors etc.

I don't think anyone is suggesting to create different yum repo files
for different products. These should definitely come from the same
source (the fedora-release package), no matter which product is installed.

This might have gotten a bad start because of the original naming
suggestion. Let me suggest a new one:

fedora-{workstation,server,cloud}

These would be purely for enforcing a core set of packages that are
deemed necessary for the products and for shipping correct systemd
presets files. They are NOT about replacing the yum repo definitions or
gpg keys or rpm macros from the fedora-release package.

--
Hope this clears things up,
Kalev