Re: Adding pkg-config not provided by upstream when packaging a library?

Eric Smith wrote:
> I don't really understand how this is "adding to the API" or results in
> incompatibilities.  Do other people think that doing this is a mistake?
> Would it actually be better for the package not to provide pkg-config
> files?

The reason we do not recommend adding non-upstream pkg-config files is that
software developed on Fedora then starts relying on those .pc files being
present and does not work on any other distribution. Those added .pc files
are useless for portable software.

        Kevin Kofler