serfdom, consul, and atomic

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 09:46:47PM -0500, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> > > [4] http://serfdom.io
> > > [5] http://consul.io
> > Hi Jeff! Welcome! These look pretty interesting. Do you think they're worth
> > integrating with GearD as a possible part of Fedora Atomic?
> While I don't think it should necessarily be a required dependency I think
> the answer to your question is a resounding yes! Geard is fantastic
> software that builds ontop of docker. There isn't a good reason for geard
> to re-implement docker any more than there is for geard to re-implement
> zookeeper or consul. For large multi-node deployments (1000+), I think
> service discovery is a must. This is why I'm interested in it, my problems
> are solved cleanly through good service discovery and I'd like to do it the
> "proper" way, making Fedora / EPEL better in the process.

Awesome. I've got some starting points for you. First, see the draft
packaging guidelines for Go at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Go>. We're still working out
the details.

Second, we'd love to have you join in over in the cloud SIG, centered
around the mailing list at
<https://lists.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/cloud>. We're working on
making a F21 cloud image based around Docker, GearD, and the rest of Atomic.

And, I guess also it might be useful, once we actually have the packages
available, to join the atomic-devel mailing list at
<https://lists.projectatomic.io/mailman/listinfo/atomic-devel> to talk about
service discovery and orchestration.

PS: also, this is a heavy enough traffic mailing list that it's disruptive
if people reply to the digests instead of the original messages, because it
breaks the threading. It's nicer if you can find and reply to the original
individual message. Thanks! (I know, so much email, so many lists....)

> --

Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"