Re: Python 3.4 merged into Rawhide

----- Original Message -----
> > All the other packages built fine for me locally, so the mass rebuild
> > should get the job done for these.
>
> No, you cannot rely on the mass rebuild here. The reason is that the
> mass rebuild goes from a-z, in the alphabetical order and _not_ in the
> dependency order.
>
> Furthermore, even if the alphabetical order would normally work when you
> are doing manual rebuilds (you'd rebuild a; wait for it to appear in the
> buildroots; rebuild b; wait for it to appear in the buildroots; rebuild
> c ...), the mass rebuild doesn't include any newly-rebuilt packages in
> its buildroot, so you really cannot use it to rebuild any dependency chains.

I rebuilt all the packages that didn't rebuild in the alphabetical order, but it didn't occur to me that there are no repo rebuilds. Let's wait for mass rebuild to do as much work as possible and then just do the rest. (Anyone is free to rebuild as many packages as he wishes by hand before that, too :))

> This means that anything that directly or indirectly BuildRequires an
> unrebuilt python3 library is going to fail in the mass rebuild.
>
> Let me give an example.
>
> python3-pytz was one of the packages that didn't get rebuilt. In the
> rawhide tree, this is required by:
> python3-babel-0:1.3-3.fc21.noarch
> python3-celery-0:3.1.9-1.fc21.noarch
> python3-icalendar-0:3.6.2-2.fc21.noarch
> python3-matplotlib-0:1.3.1-4.fc21.x86_64
> python3-nikola-0:6.4.0-1.fc21.noarch
> python3-pandas-0:0.12.0-5.fc21.x86_64
> python3-taskw-0:0.8.1-2.fc21.noarch
>
> ... which are all libraries. If we try to install any of the packages
> from above (either locally or to install in koji for building other
> packages), they'd fail to install because python3-pytz cannot be
> installed. Same goes for any packages that depend on anything from the
> list above; they cannot be installed because they depend on an unrebuilt
> python3-pytz.
>
> In order to rebuild those, first we'd have to rebuild python3-pytz, then
> one of the libraries in the list above, until we reach to the top of the
> iceberg. And this has to be done in the dependency order; rawhide a-z
> mass rebuild does NOT help here.
>
> Or to put it another way, leaving deep dependency trees unrebuilt would
> undermine the the mass rebuild because a huge number of other packages
> that have (indirect) build dependencies on the unrebuilt packages are
> going to fail.

I understand that. As noted above, I'd just wait for the mass rebuild to do as much as possible and than do the rest.
(Just BTW I rebuilt pytz, which has python3-pytz subpackage, and it is tagged into rawhide already [1])

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=516929