Re: an that is why we need a firewall -> Re: When a yum update sets up an MTA ...

On 04/28/2014 12:42 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:

Actually, I think the best way to fix this is with SELinux, rather than
iptables. Why go for an overly complex solution where authorised
processes have to prod a firewall dæmon to change the iptables
configuration, when the kernel has a perfectly good "firewall" built in
as a fundamental part of the IP stack? Send a TCP SYN to a port which
nobody's listening on, and you'll get a TCP RST back. Send a UDP packet
to closed port, and you'll get an ICMP 'port unreachable' back. No need
for iptables at all. All you need to do, if you really want to control
incoming connections, is use SELinux to limit who can bind() and
listen() to certain ports.

Can we make this stick for the unconfined_t user as well? How can system administrators configure exceptions? What about developers who need to bind to various ports, e.g. while running test suites? Will it be as straightforward as with firewalld?

An explicit failure on bind() might actually give us better error reporting (especially if the EPERM details idea is implemented). I like the SELinux idea.