Re: an that is why we need a firewall -> Re: When a yum update sets up an MTA ...

On Mon, 2014-04-21 at 09:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 21.04.2014 03:39, schrieb Lars Seipel:
> > Nicely aligning with the current firewall thread I noticed that one of
> > my machines was running the exim MTA for the last few days, dutifully
> > listening on all interfaces
>
> and now it is *proven for sure* that disable the firewall
> by default is the most dumb thing a distribution can do

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Take a look at the wording of the proposed change: "The current level of
integration into the desktop and applications does not justify enabling
the firewalld service by default."

Now imagine the situation if we take the opposite approach — we *fix*
the integration, and leave it enabled by default.

Fixing the integration means that installing packages which need to
listen on a network socket should Just Work™. That means they'll talk to
firewalld somehow, to enable their ports.

No no no no no.  If you want a firewall "integrated" that way, you are really better of uninstalling it or opening it up; it serves no purpose.

(Which is why I think opening up the firewall on Workstation might have been the right thing to do; it was the other parts of the proposal to the effect of "we'll make it secure later" that were a non-starter.)

Actually, I think the best way to fix this is with SELinux, rather than
iptables. Why go for an overly complex solution where authorised
processes have to prod a firewall dæmon to change the iptables
configuration, when the kernel has a perfectly good "firewall" built in
as a fundamental part of the IP stack?

More generally, an application- instead of port-based firewall configuration might be interesting (aside from protecting "ownership" of some well-known ports I suppose).  But that needs having a security-relevant concept of an application, something we don't have on the desktop with everything running as unconfined_t and ptrace() allowed, and something we... sort of have but not enough, with PHP scripts running in-process in the same domain as the main http server.
    Mirek