Re: F21 System Wide Change: SCL

On 04/16/2014 07:36 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:13:24 +0200
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

= Proposed System Wide Change: SCL =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SCL

Change owner(s): Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano@xxxxxxxxxx>

SCL - Software Collections - are popular packaging format above rpm.
Let's enable them for Fedora. More details on upstream page [1].

== Detailed Description ==
My first draft [2] is obsoleted by current state of SCL, Copr... I
would keep the SCL workflow simple as possible.

Playground repo

1. Build SCL in Copr
2. Add SCL into Playground repo

Fedora main repo

0. Build SCL in Copr (or use existing SCL)
1. Do standard package review
2. Upload packages into git - specific branch based on Fedora version
and name of collection. For stable repo we must be able to replicate
builds from git repo, which Fedora own.
3. Build SCL in koji or magically add SCL builds from Copr (depends
on preference of releng)

SCL living on Copr can be good candidates for inclusion in Fedora.
Maintainer of such SCL must be able create Change proposal for his
collection. Review of packages in the collection should depend on
repository (Playground - almost no rules, Fedora - standard
guidelines).

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
0. Approve SCL guidelines by FPC
1. Include one collection into Fedora Playground repository or into
main Fedora repository (probably the one wanted by Cloud WG). It
might be this one rebuild for Fedora [3]. Updates of some gems or
addition of other gems might be needed. Review by Cloud projects is
needed.

* Other developers: If SCL is in Fedora, maybe some other project can
use it for their work.

* Release engineering: Magically add SCLs builds into compose or set
up koji for SCLs.

building in koji is a must

Dennis

Great, we can discuss how to do it. Usually it's needed to add into buildroot the meta-package for the collection. I guess what's needed from release engineering point of view can be explained by your colleagues from release engineering like Lubos.

Marcela