Re: default local DNS caching name server

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014, Chuck Anderson wrote:

I don't disagree that there is lots of broken DNS out there.  But
realistically, we still need to default to using the DHCP-provided DNS
servers as forwarders because there are unfortunately lots of
circumstances where this is required to resolve corporate DNS names or
to allow captive portals to work.  If the local caching resolver is
intelligent enough, it can handle the common use cases (corporate DNS
resolution, VPN into corporate, captive portals) and work around the
common failure modes (automatic cache flushing, switching to iterative
mode to bypass upstream nameservers when necessary, using both the
upstream nameservers AND iterative queries and combining the results)
for us.

What we cannot do is have the default be to bypass the upstream DNS
resolvers without some way to handle the above cases.

correct, which is why Anaconda should configure the DNS server that
comes in via kickstart or administrator as a forwarder into unbound.

It is one of the modifications required for this feature.

Paul