Re: fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, having /usr/lib/passwd storing the same limited set of data is not the right long-term thing. Unfortunately, AFAIK the fuller interface isn't ready yet.

Yeah, it'd be nice to merge the accountsservice database in to the system db. (And in general, have more consolidation among shadow-utils/sssd/accountsservice)

In the really-long-term, really-hand-wavy, future, I think we need to move away from the 32-bit UIDs[3],

I agree:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2009-April/msg02456.html

[2] Overall I'm strongly convinced that the fully-stateless == fully-atomic-updates model is simply unworkable. We can have stateless/atomic software installation, but we absolutely do need to allow for arbitrary operations to be done on system's state between loading the new version on disk and starting it. Fedora-atomic can have special support for a few classes of state know in advance, but fully general software needs fully general post-installation adjustments. (E.g., where does ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN on software upgrade fit in the Fedora-atomic model?)

An ExecStartPre= entry in the systemd unit.