Re: trimming down Fedora installed size

On 04/10/2014 09:53 PM, James Antill wrote:
>  20 | 38,561     |  38 G      | 19M

So there are 20MB of meta data that need to be downloaded once. This can
hardly be a problem - even if the size tripled.

> same thing for updates gives:
> 18 | 18,606     |  20 G      | 12M

Ok, let this be another 20MB for the updates during the life time of an
Fedora release. This would also not be an issue if we had not to
download this file over and over again and then inflate it to ten times
it's size.

The main issue here is not the amount of data but the way yum handles it
and the refusal of yum upstream to even consider an efficient meta data
handling by insisting on the reconstruction of transport representation
on the client side.

In the end we need a saner MD handling no matter if we go for finer
grained packages or not. I hope DNF will be able to provide this at some
point when they are done with the more basic things.

Florian