Re: trimming down Fedora installed size

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 08:39 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 07:50:37AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > > I would say in the long run we should be working towards creating
> > > separated locale,doc,man packages
> > Hmm, I wonder if RPM 4.12 would allow us to do this with weak
> > dependencies?
> > Perhaps something like having a metapackage on the system for docs and
> > one for each language. Then we could break up the doc and language
> > packages into sub-packages that are installed conditionally on the
> > presence of that metapackage on the system.
> > Of course, I think there would still be work needed in RPM to support
> > adding a language later, but maybe we could solve that with special
> > tooling or a yum plugin.
>
> +1 to all of this. Needs:
>
>   * rpm macros, possibly other RPM work
>   * packaging guidelines
>   * yum/dnf tooling
>   * a plan for realistically getting from where we are now to where we
>     want to be
>   * executing on that plan

>From the desktop/workstation perspective, here are a few things I would
like to see if we decide to work on this:

Support for a new locale is more or less like a 'system extension' for
the OS. It would be good to define clear rules for what it means to
provide a subpackage that becomes part of this system extension.

In an ideal world, this could even be automatic and pattern-based (e.g.
if you install anything into /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0, you are providing
a 'codec' extension, and all the files below that directory belong to
it).

To present this in the UI, we need to know the available 'extension
points' (either a fixed list, or a way to enumerate them), as well as
the installed and available extensions for each, including suitable
metadata (name+short description at least).