Re: trimming down Fedora installed size

On 04/09/2014 03:53 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

Having said that, I am all for saving space on a default install and/or
making a more minimal install possible.  I noticed just now that
manpages are compressed, but with gz.  I am sure this discussion has
already happened, but maybe we can have an alternative man-xz format
that will reduce the size of the individual packages for a Fedora
Minimal or somesuch (I think manpages should be very, very far down on
the list of what to be left out from an install, as they are sometimes
the last resort on what to do).

SUSE once (> 10 years ago) had used *.bz2-compressed manpages, but for a while they also have returned to *.gz.

I don't know why they did so, but I'd guess it simply doesn't pay-off size-wise and introduced too much of a penalty speed-wise.

So, I'd question the usefulness of not installing man-pages, because their sizes are comparatively small on today's disk-scales, e.g. on my primary system:
# du -sh /usr/share/man
89M	/usr/share/man

That's almost neglibile in comparision to the overall size of the installation.

Ralf