Re: F21 System Wide Change: Framework for Server Role Deployment

On Apr 8, 2014, at 9:48 PM, William Brown <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

== Detailed Description == A new D-Bus service will be made
available, exposing available server roles, making it possible to
deploy, configure and manage them. Appropriate functionality will
also be exposed as a command-line utility.
What does it mean to "deploy, configure, and manage" a server
role? Nothing and everything fits this whole description.

Installation, setup of mandatory data, running of the necessary
services, opening of the necessary ports, easy view of overall health
of the services and gathering of backup sets.

I'd like a bit more about this, especially the opening of ports (What
about ip ranges?) and the "gathering of backup sets" and what that
implies or how it's triggered.

What additionally, counts as a "server role" in this case? Or are these
not completely filled out yet? IE a network router is certainly a server
role, but does it come under this case?

Most of these questions are answered here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Document and many of the implementation details have been discussed on the server@xxxxxxxx.o, but I certainly agree that we need to gather those details on a wiki page and link that and the PRD from this Change Proposal. I will look into doing this today.