Re: Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-03-18)

On 18 March 2014 22:50, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Reposting from <http://fedoramagazine.org/?p=1231>, for those of you who
> prefer email to the web. :)
>
> Fedora is big project, and it’s hard to follow it all. This new Fedora
> Magazine feature will highlight interesting happenings in five different
> areas every week. It won’t be comprehensive news coverage — just quick
> summaries and links to each. So, here we go for March 18th, 2014:
>
> Flock 2014 registration and talk proposals open
>
> In case you missed the article in Fedora Magazine a few days ago… don’t miss
> it. The website at <http://flocktofedora.org/>, and the talk proposal
> deadline is coming up fast: April 3rd, 2014.
>
> Fedora 21 feature planning in progress
> --------------------------------------
>
> Looking to do something new for Fedora 21? The initial schedule is set and
> many changes are already accepted by FESCo. Submission deadline is April
> 8th, 2014. If you have something to add, find out how at
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy>.
>
> Ambassadors discuss inactive memberships
> for marking the memberships of people who aren’t actively participating as
> inactive. Looks like there’s wide support for the low-overhead, non-punitive
> proposal (which allows easy reactivation).
>
> KDE talks about Fedora Products
> -------------------------------
>
> <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2014-March/013196.html>
>
> Another interesting discussion: KDE SIG is working on a proposal for “Fedora
> Plasma”, a desktop product focused at educational and scientific use. FESCo
> and the Fedora Advisory Board have previously approved the governance and
> PRDs for Cloud, Server, and Workstation (the latter of which recently
> elected to use Gnome as the base). It will be interesting to see how this
> all fits together.
>
> Planning for new Fedora web design
> ----------------------------------
>
> The Fedora Websites and Design teams are working on refreshed websites in
> support of Fedora.next. I’m cheating a bit because some this is more than a
> week old, but it’s all still in progress. This includes an ambitious plan
> for a new community hub, although initial work focuses on updating the Get
> Fedora “brochure” site.
>
> Endnote
> -------
> So that’s it for this week. If something didn’t make the list and you think
> it should have, that probably just means I missed it, not that it wasn’t
> important. Please drop me a line and we’ll make this better next time.
>

> Bonus mailing list questions!
> -----------------------------

[...]

> Is it helpful to post this here?

Yes; for me at least as I didn't even know there was a Fedora magazine.

> If so, is full text important, or is posting a link to the web site fine?

Full text is better, if someone doesn't click the link to the web page
(maybe he/she is in a hurry, or can't be bothered :)), he can skim
through the email, usually topics of interest catch one's eye. After
all an email is an email, no point making it too short (nor too long
of course).

> Would it be helpful to post it to other
> lists as well or instead? What about repurposing the defunct "news" mailing
> list for just this purpose?

Ideally it should be to -dev and -users, some are only subscribed to
one or the other.

I didn't know there was a news ML; but if an ML dies, then there were
reasons for that, if those reasons haven't changed then there's no
point trying to revive it. Just the occasional email (1 per
month/week), doesn't need a separate ML IMHO.

> --
> Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> --

Ahmad Samir