Re: rfc: EFI System partition, FAT32, repair and non-persistent mount

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 18.03.14 15:07, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> > Fedora takes a different approach though, and will mount an explicit
>> > boot partition to /boot and the ESP to /boot/efi, and do so
>> > unconditionally without involving autofs.  Fedora could add
>> > "x-systemd-automount" to the mount options of /boot/efi, and thus
>> > turning /boot/efi into an autofs too.
>>
>> When I add x-systemd.automount to fstab for /boot/efi, it still gets
>> mounted on every boot.
>
> Ah, yeah sorry, forgot to mention, you need to also add "noauto" to the
> line. If it is "auto" we'll still wait for the mount unit to complete.
>
> Basically, combining x-systemd.automount + auto is just a away to speed
> up boot by fscking in the bg while the mount point is already
> established. After boot the file system will be mounted as if
> x-systemd.automount hadn't been used.
>
> Combining x-systemd.automount + noauto however is a way to establish a
> mount point and only lazily triggering it on access. And that's what you
> want to use here.

It seems like 'ls /boot/efi' shouldn't be enough to trigger a mount --
the poi nt is that /boot/efi should stay unmounted unless there's a
genuine need to mount it.  So just plain noauto might be good enough
here (i.e. without the automount).

I'm usually a fan of giving mountpoints mode 000 to avoid accidentally
using them when unmounted, but that doesn't really do anything for
root.

--Andy