Re: ostree/fedora atomic and impact on the mirror network

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Remember OSTree is a content-addressed object store (like git), not a chain
> of deltas (like Subversion, and other systems out there such as Chromium
> Autoupdate, and Docker).

Ouch -- so updates fetch EVERY file regardless of whether it has
changed between the snapshot installed and the target snapshot? That
is kind of bad.

Are you aware of the work done on OLPC's os-builder, which used rsync
"informed" by a per-snapshot metatada file?

> Ultimately while the "loose" design may seem naïve, it's not hard to scale

As I mentioned, it seems to me that OLPC's os-builder might be of
interest to you.

In our experience, the problem we had was network latency. On a local
network, a small OS image, and with rsync client sending requests
speculatively a bit ahead of receiving the response to its prev
request... the lag for clients updating was horrible.

How long does an update of a full Fedora take when the server is
remote, on a relatively good home connection?

(Is there a good overview I should be reading?)

 martin.langhoff@xxxxxxxxx
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff