Re: Per-Product Config file divergence

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 03:16:31PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The idea is to allow config file divergence via the alternatives system as
>
> Will this handle user customization? IME alternatives is not geared to
> handle config files, customizable shell scripts, etc.

That's an issue that I was trying to think through over the weekend.
I think you're right that alternatives by itself wouldn't handle this well.
I was trying to figure out if we could use alternatives to copy in a config
file instead of symlinking or check the hash of the file just like rpm would
do with any other config file but didn't get through my thought experiments.

It may be that vanilla alternatives is unsuitable but we want something
alternatives-like (an external tool that updates the config file) rather
than something based on rpm metadata (Conflicts which causes you to have
either one or the other package installed).

-Toshio