Re: audio/video software

LM wrote:
> Is anyone currently working on software that fits this category?  For
> example, I've been looking at the source code for
> xine-lib-1.1.21-pruned.tar.xz.  It hasn't been updated in a while and
> a newer version of xine in source control and Sourceforge has support
> for webm and some other useful formats.  Is anyone looking into adding
> webm support to the pruned version of xine?  I think I have the
> pruning script pretty much updated for the latest version of the
> library.  Still working through some patches to get the library to
> compile without the patent encumbered code.  (Latest version is more
> dependent on ffmpeg and related libraries than the previous version
> was, but it should build without it with some patching.)  Is anyone
> else working on a project along these lines?  Also couldn't a library
> like smpeg be useful for playing certain types of videos if mp3 code
> was pruned?  Just wondering if there are any developers working on
> these sorts of projects or related ones for Fedora.  It would be nice
> to compare notes and possibly share patches/scripts.

xine-lib 1.2 depends on a library that is part of FFmpeg (libavutil) for
everything, and thus it was decided to retire xine-lib in Fedora entirely.
It is now shipped only in RPM Fusion. (We decided that it was not worth
trying to split FFmpeg into pieces and package libavutil separately from
libavcodec, which definitely cannot go into Fedora.)

        Kevin Kofler