Re: Read this if your package includes a status notifier / system tray icon

PS:

I wrote:
> ----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
> GTK+ (2 or 3)         | You must use Canonical's libappindicator, which is
>                       | interoperable with the KDE implementation. It is
>                       | already packaged in Fedora. Several GTK+ packages
>                       | already support it, for those, it is only a matter
>                       | of adding the BuildRequires (libappindicator-devel
>                       | for GTK+ 2, libappindicator-gtk3-devel for GTK+
>                       | 3). For some others, patches to add
>                       | libappindicator support are available from Ubuntu.
> ----------------------+---------------------------------------------------

By the way, it cannot hurt to enable support for libappindicator NOW. This
will, in fact, improve the integration into the current KDE Plasma
Workspaces (which have been supporting the new status notifier protocol for
a long time now) in several ways:

* The icons are a lot less likely to be subject to flicker and other
  graphical glitches than with XEmbed.

* The icons can be rescaled to a different size. Starting from kde-workspace
  4.11.6, Plasma now supports high-DPI displays by making system tray icons
  larger than the legacy 24 pixels on such displays. This only works with
  the new protocol, legacy XEmbed icons can only be centered in the larger
  square and will look ugly and hard to decipher on high-DPI displays.

* The icons can be themed by the Plasma theme. The default Plasma theme
  contains monochromatic ("symbolic") versions of the system tray icons it
  knows (similar to the icon style used in GNOME Shell's top panel). More
  such themed icons can be added, and different Plasma themes can theme them
  differently. (Some of the themes on kde-look.org include their own themed
  system tray icons, and I uploaded a set of converted Oxygen icons to
  kde-look.org that can be used with any Plasma theme for those who prefer
  colored system tray icons.) If no themed icon is found in the Plasma
  theme, the icon is looked up in the freedesktop.org icon theme, which is
  where the legacy XEmbed system tray icons typically take their icons from,
  so even in that worst case, it will look no worse than before.

Enabling support for libappindicator right now should also have no negative
effects on any other desktop, because it also supports the legacy XEmbed
protocol.

        Kevin Kofler