Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

On Feb 27, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2014-02-27/fedora-meeting-1.2014-02-27-15.00.log.html
>>
>> OK super, pretty much all Server WG questions are answered. That was easy. Summary is they are going to go with XFS on LVM. LVM vs LVM thinp is to be determined. And they only want this one option for the guided path (i.e. sounds like Partition Scheme pop-up goes away).
>>
>> For Workstation WG it can be the same thing too. Or optionally pick an alternate: plain partition (probably ext4), or Btrfs.
>
> Not btrfs.  We answered that yesterday.

I know that, no Btrfs by default. The above pertains to an (optional) alternate.

> Workstation is likely to go with the existing defaults of the desktop
> spin unless someone comes up with majorly compelling reasons to change
> it.

There are four options right now. The default is LVM+ext4. Btrfs is an alternate now, along with Standard Partitioning (ext4), and LVM ThinP. So the Workstation WG should either:

a.) Go with a default only and not have an alternate.
b.) Pick one of the three remaining options as an alternate.

Chris Murphy