Re: F21 System Wide Change: System-wide crypto policy

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<nmav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 10:12 -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>> > == Detailed Description ==
>> > The idea is to have some predefined security levels such as LEVEL-80,
>> > LEVEL-128, LEVEL-256,
>> > or ENISA-LEGACY, ENISA-FUTURE, SUITEB-128, SUITEB-256. These will be the
>> > security levels
>> > that the administrator of the system will be able to configure by modifying
>> > /usr/lib/crypto-profiles/config
>> > /etc/crypto-profiles/config
>> How much of the system will break if the administrator does something
>> silly like setting LEVEL-256?
>
> Probably a lot, but I don't think we protect from someone doing rm -fr /
> either :)
>
>> For reference, there isn't a well-established, widely accepted
>> symmetric cipher with 256-bit security.  AES-256 is weak [1] and
>> should probably not be used at all, let alone by anyone who wants a
>> 256-bit security level.
>
> AES-128 is broken too:
> http://www.kuleuven.be/english/newsletter/newsflash/encryption_standard.html
>
> (in short it provides 126-bit security instead of 128).
>
> _However_, this and the attacks your describe on AES-256 don't matter
> for practical purposes. Schneier explains in the blog you quote, but I
> recap:
>
> 1. Related key attacks are nice for publishing papers, but they have
> almost no practical relevance (AES or any other modern cipher isn't
> designed to resist related key attacks).
> 2. Attacking on reduced round variants of ciphers, doesn't matter either
> except for academics and for getting the future trend of security of the
> cipher. We use the full-round variants that resist the published
> attacks.
> 3. Breaking a cipher in the academic term means finding an attack that
> is faster than brute force. The brute force level of AES-256 is terribly
> high so "breaking" AES-256 in 2^245 steps is still very reassuring.

So, in summary:

 - LEVEL-256 provides well under 256-bit security.
 - This is fine because no one actually needs 256-bit security.

So *why on earth* would it make sense to implement this proposal?  It
sounds like we'd be offering options that (a) don't perform as
advertised and (b) don't serve any purpose anyway.

>> access to those sites?  What about disallowing use of CA certificates
>> that use SHA-1?  (Oops, there goes the Internet.)
>
> We have to document that, but there will be always ways to shoot
> someones foot. There are legitimate uses of increasing a security level
> (if one for example sets up machines to be used in a LAN).
>
>> If someone sets SUITEB-whatever, is Curve25519 acceptable?
>
> SuiteB only allows two curves. SECP256 and SECP384 if I remember well.

I understand why people implement ridiculous FIPS modes: it's to
comply with government rules.  I don't see why Fedora should add to
the mess.

>> How many people even know what an ENISA algorithm is?  (I don't.)
>
> ENISA is not an algorithm. It is the "European Union Agency for Network
> and Information Security" and they have some papers proposing various
> security levels, similarly to NIST. https://www.enisa.europa.eu/
>
>> Alternatively, a systemwide setting like "avoid modp groups below X
>> bits" could make sense.  Far too many things 1024-bit modp groups.
>> This includes *SSH* until very recently.  Having a single switch to
>> turn that cr*p off would be very useful, although it might imply a lot
>> of patches.
>
> That's the idea.

Then let's do that.

--Andy