Re: Packages with missing %check

On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 21:56 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> For the sorts of tests you are talking about it's much better to test
> the final RPM installed in a full OS environment.  That is what (I
> hope) Taskotron is trying to do.

Well, that's *one* of the things it does, yes (as AutoQA did before it).
Both taskotron and AutoQA were conceived as fairly generic testing
frameworks, though. They aren't intended to be inextricably tied to
distribution packages or koji or bodhi or anything else like that.

In practice AutoQA turned out to be somewhat coupled at least to some
Fedora-specific infrastructure, and that's one of the reasons behind the
taskotron re-design:

http://tirfa.com/down-with-test-automation-long-live-task-automation.html

So, yeah: running tests on packages in full OS environments is certainly
one of the major things we want to do with Taskotron, but that's not all
it's for. We also want, for instance, to do testing on Fedora
deliverables - one of the things we had working very briefly in AutoQA,
for instance, was automated testing of the daily Rawhide boot.iso
composes. The "RATS" test could run through a minimal install, see if it
worked, and provide somewhat useful information when it didn't. Not
package-level testing at all.

Other references on taskotron's design:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Taskotron ,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tflink/taskotron_development_plan ,