Re: Service units for web applications

On Tuesday 25 February 2014 22:41:29 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 25.02.14 15:49, Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > For example, I might have
> >
> > http://reviews.myserver.com/systemd-reviews/
> > http://reviews.myserver.com/networkmanager-reviews/
> > http://otherreviews.myserver.com/
>
> But a vhost is not a systemd concept, it's entirely foreign to it. It
> does not track it, maintain it, introspect it, know it. We really
> shouldn't turn systemd into something that can manage things that are
> inherently private property of other packages.

Indeed.

<grief>

Actually, demultiplexing different applications should conceptually be at
the port level (e.g: IRC/FTP/SSH/etc), potentially with pervasive service
discovery for dynamic port assignment.

This would have made web applications a first class citizen where
it would be trivial to run multiple instances of the same/different
applications under generic OS supervision (systemd), with all
the benefits that come with it:
 * Privilege separation to different users (without risking SuExec)
 * Separate resource limits.
 * Separate chroots.
 * User initiated web-applications (on non-privileged ports).
 * What's not...

However, over the years, the proliferation of NAT + firewalls basically
killed everything but the venerable ports 80/443 -- maybe in IPv8 they
would drop the src/dst port numbers from the protocols ;-)

As a result, totally different application protocols and sites are multiplexed
on these ports and can only be separated by parsing http headers.
This limitation makes it the "private property" of the http server :-(

We could have a kernel mechanism to parse the GET/POST/... urls and map
them to some dynamically registered local port number (similar to netfilter).
OTOH, do we want *more* parsing code inside the kernel? (probably not).

Oh well, we can't fix it all -- httpd is the "kernel" for web-applications
with all the trust, resource allocation and management issues that goes
with it.

</grief>

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron