Re: python-django update to Django-1.6

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 07:57:34AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Have we sorted out how exactly we want to build this in Fedora? I'm
> still in favor of killing off the python-django package in favor of
> python-django16 and python-django15.

We haven't sorted this yet. Still I'd prefer a kind of rolling version
(python-django) as the most recent version. That way, at least packages
working with the latest version would get upgrades automatically.

If we have a better plan, i.e if reviewboard requires Django-1.5 instead
of Django-1.4, we need to make sure, Django-1.4 gets replaced by
Django-1.5.

A Django-package should provide e.g Django = %{version}
and a package requiring series 1.4.x should
require Django >= 1.4, Django < 1.5
Then ideally the package providing Django-1.5 would obsolete Django-1.4
to get that replaced, the same for later packages.

Does that sound sane, does it make sense? I'd still would like to test
out, if that would lead to selecting the right Django package, instead
of just installing the latest version.

Currently, Django is named Django in EPEL6, python-djangp in EPEL7 and
in Fedora. It would make sense, to unify all the packages; that
shouldn't be a big problem at all.

Matthias
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>