Re: May I file 1000 bugs aka upstream test suite tracking

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/21/2014 09:22 AM, Alexander Todorov wrote:
>> Hi guys, (note: devel, packaging and test lists) previously I've
>> done a little experiment and counted how many packages are likely
>> to have upstream test suites and how many don't:
>> http://atodorov.org/blog/2013/12/24/upstream-test-suite-status-of-fedora-20/
>>

>> In general around 35% do have test suites, the rest don't.
>>
>> My goal is to bring down the number of packages which ship without
>> any sort of test suite inside their code base.
>>
>> The first step is to identify them and track them in Bugzilla.
>>

>> My question is: **Is everyone, especially package maintainers OK
>> with me filing 1000+ bugs ?**
>>

>> Last time I did so (around 100 bugs) it got a few people unhappy
>> so better ask this time!
>>
>> If you are unhappy seeing such many bugs and having your mailbox
>> full with notifications from Bugzilla please reply with a better
>> proposal and why do you consider it better.
>>

>> Thanks, Alex
>

> Please make sure to follow
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_bug_filing to the letter. If you
> do not, it will make life very difficult.
>
> That being said, a lot of packages in Fedora are simply that: packaged
> upstreams. Many (most?) package maintainers are not developers of that
> package and as such are probably not equipped to add tests to their
> systems.
>
> A better case here would be to find a way to identify those packages
> whose upstreams have tests that are not being run in %check. That
> probably *would* be considered a bug.

Unless there's a decree from FESCo or FPC about requiring this, it's
going to be up to the maintainer as to whether using %check to run
testsuites is required.  A lot of testsuites require external network
access and won't work when run under koji.  Also, it increases build
time and can bloat BuildRequires.  It is *not* a clear-cut bug.

Personally, I don't think %check is a good idea at all.

josh