Re: LinuxCNC RTAI kernel

On Feb 12, 2014 4:54 PM, "Christopher Meng" <cickumqt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2014-2-12 PM6:32于 "Sandro Mani" <manisandro@xxxxxxxxx>写道:
>
> > By the way, concerning OpenCASCADE, this would also open up the possibility for packaging Code-Aster and Salome for Fedora. I once started looking at packaging them, but stalled of since it's quite an effort. Anyone else interested in joining the effort?
>
> Eric Smith is packaging it already.

I asked on the Fedora Legal list whether it was OK to package it with the new license, and the answer was yes. I worked on an RPM, but several people suggested that it would be better to wait for OCE (downstream) to be rebased on the new OpenCASCADE release, and the OCE package to be moved from RPM Fusion into Fedora.

Previously I had been unaware of the existence of OCE. Since there are already packages in RPM Fusion using it, which may also be able to move into Fedora after OCE does, I abandoned packaging my own RPM for OpenCASCADE.

I don't know how long it will take for OCE to make it into Fedora. If other developers don't want to wait for that, I could resume my efforts or collaborate with other developers to finish an OpenCASCADE package. However, then we'd likely end up with two forks in Fedora, which seems somewhat undesirable.

Richard Shaw is the OCE package maintainer. He just emailed me today about it. At the very least, if anyone does work on packaging OpenCASCADE, it would be worthwhile to try to somehow coordinate things with him to try to have an orderly transition plan, since OCE is probably the preferred long-term solution. As Richard points out, OCE has a better (more maintainable) build system.

Eric