Re: advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

On 12 February 2014 14:44, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:36:00PM +0100, Kai Engert wrote:
>>> Question (1)
>>> Are we allowed to ship software in Fedora that dynamically loads
>>> advertisements from the web and shows them to users?
>>
>> I think this might need to be broken down or clarified. Otherwise, any web
>> browser is out.
>
> I think you need to also clarify what "advertisements" mean.
> Otherwise you'll get people playing wordsmith saying e.g. a
> software-installer tool is advertising some applications over others
> and is disallowed.

It wouldn't really be playing wordsmith, the application installer (or
whatever it's called) is talked about in terms of advertising
applications, it seems to be part of it's philosophy (though the word
'promote' has been more common). If it's just a case of Fedora wants
to control what advertising goes on in Fedora then that's not that
much different from Canonical or iTunes. If it's about third parties
tracking users I think that's a different and stronger argument about
privacy.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk