Re: advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

On 02/12/2014 04:58 PM, H. Guémar wrote:
My *personal* opinion is that we should disable this kind of feature by
default.

My personal opinion is to ban and remove such features and not only to disable it by fault. firefox's defaults also should be altered to point to an "empty home page" shouldn't this already be the case.

Actually, unless it tracks users, i don't think that our guidelines
forbids it, though it may influence our choice for the packages set
installed by default.
IIRC, "call-home" functions already are strongly frowned upon in Fedora's FPG - Not worth mention the NSA scandal, which has caused at in Europe has caused many users to consider call-home and tracking to be euphemisms for espionage and breaches of privacy.

Ralf