Re: advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 18:25:48 +0200,
  Nikos Roussos <comzeradd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 16:58 +0100, H. Guémar wrote:
My *personal* opinion is that we should disable this kind of feature
by default.

On a side note, why not disable also Google as the default searchbox
engine and replace it with a non-profit one?

(I'm not stating my opinion here, just trying to figure which is our
overall attitude against promoted default brands on software we deliver
to users.)

I think the difference is that google search isn't used until you actually do a search. So you can not use it fairly easily. Connecting to web pages before you get a chance to disable that feature is a privacy problem unless those web pages are local copies. I already have a problem with firefox loading a mozilla page after update. (You can turn this off, but it isn't well documented.) I also have a problem with doing revocation lookups to check for revoked certificates by default. And for that matter with loading the Fedora welcome page when you first run firefox of Fedora systems.