Re: Educating packagers about always making changes in devel / rawhide first

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> This is the one I have run in the past:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/releng/tree/scripts/check-upgrade-paths.py

If you're going to use that script, PLEASE use this patch:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20120418/ead924dd/attachment.bin

I wrote, which Jesse Keating has been ignoring for YEARS despite my repeated
nagging and complaining about the false positives in the nagmails.

> and on which path? The entire f19-updates-testing to rawhide?
>
> f19 f19-updates f19-updates-testing f20 f20-updates f20-updates-testing
> f21

That doesn't make sense, comparing f19-updates-testing to f20 is broken. The
ordering isn't linear there, comparisons ought to be:

f19 < f19-updates
f19-updates < f19-updates-testing
f20 < f20-updates
f20-updates < f20-updates-testing

within every release,

f19-updates < f20-updates
f19-updates-testing < f20-updates-testing

for upgrade paths to releases, and:

f20-updates-testing < f21

for the upgrade path to Rawhide.

With my patch, you can use this path:

f19 f19-updates f19-updates-testing /f20-updates f20-updates-testing f21

This tells it to compare f19-updates-testing against f20-updates-testing
rather than (or actually in addition to) f20-updates. (To be precise, it
actually first does the f19-updates-testing < f20-updates check, and only if
that fails, it redoes the comparison against f20-updates-testing.)

You can't use "/f20 /f20-updates" though, the patch is not smart enough to
handle that. At the time, the lines used did not include GA releases because
the check was being run after every update push, so checking F20 GA for
broken upgrade paths would only repeat the same errors each time. I think
that checking the f19 < f20 constraint is still not useful (so I didn't
include it in the above enumeration), but f20 < f20-updates (the one
constraint in my enumeration that is not covered by my proposed path) could
be of some use. (That said, I do not expect that constraint to get violated
in practice anyway.)

        Kevin Kofler