Re: Auto-expiring bugs are getting absurd

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The idea of not closing bugs that have comments after the EOL
> notification doesn't necessarily make things better, I don't think; we'd
> just have errors in the other direction. Say someone dropped a note 'oh
> yeah, this is working now!' - it would be silly not to close the bug,
> right?

The question here is what's more common:
 * "This works for me" comment after an EOL warning. With my proposal,
the maintainer would have to manually set the bug to WONTFIX.
 * "This is still a problem" comment after an EOL warning. Currently,
this requires a maintainer to intervene and bump the version.

I assume the latter is more common.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Tom Hughes <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In fact the first message actually tells the reporter to do that:
>
> : Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we may not
> : be able to fix it before Fedora 18 is end of life. If you would still
> : like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a
> : later version  of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 'version' to
> : a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 18's end of life.
>
> so if they can't do so then that message seems a little suboptimal.

Not only that, the message provides no guidance to the bug reporter if
the problem still occurs.